Email - SMTP
What is SMTP?
Short for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, a
sending e-mail messages between servers .
Most e-mail systems that send mail over the Internet use
SMTP to send messages from one server to another. When using Easy View with SMTP,
the email is sent directly from Easy View to your SMTP mail server. No email
program is required on the PC running Easy View.
Setting up Easy View to work with SMTP
You will need to have the mail settings from your SMTP server to set up Easy
View. These can usually be obtained from your IT department or by looking
at the mail settings in your email program.
- The SMTP mail settings in Easy View can be accessed by clicking the Tools
> Options menu. Click on the 'Email' tab in the Options screen to
see the mail settings.
- Click on 'Send emails directly to my SMTP server' and you will be able
to enter or change the settings.
- Your Name:
This is the name that will be displayed as the sender in all emails you
send via SMTP
(e.g. John Doe).
- E-Mail Address:
This is the email address that will be displayed in all emails you send
via SMTP (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP):
This is the server address that Easy View will connect to when the email
is sent. This can be a name or IP address (e.g. smtp.mycompany.com
- SMTP Port:
This is the Port Number that your SMTP server uses for all connections.
This number is almost always 25 but may need to be changed in special
Some SMTP servers require authentication for extra security. It is not
that common but if your server requires it you will need to enter in
your User Name and Password.
Advantages of SMTP
- No email program is required on the computer for Easy View to send emails.
- No security problems or messages from your MAPI email program.
- No email program has to be running before the emails are sent.
Disadvantages of SMTP
- Extra settings are required before Easy View can connect to your SMTP server.
- No copy of the sent emails in the 'Sent' folder of your email program.
If you only want to confirm that the email was sent, you can always copy
yourself on the email.
<< Previous - Next >>